Thursday, December 2, 2010

Tis the Season To Be Charitable

There is no doubt that Delaware County, Pennsylvania is one of the most charitable regions in our nation.

Everywhere you look, there are outlets for those who chose to be charitable to donate their time or money. This year, there are more people in need then in past years. Our economy has forced those who have never had to ask for assistance to ask and hopefully receive food, coats, money or shelter.

This year I have told my children that due to the economy, there won’t be as much under the Christmas tree. As a parent, that statement is difficult. I can’t imagine having to tell my children that there will be nothing under the Christmas tree and not to bother waking up early for Christmas morning breakfast because we don’t have any food in our refrigerator.

Over Thanksgiving I gave thanks for the health of my family and friends as well as the time I was spending with my family but I also gave thanks for being able to put something under the tree for my children, being able to make Christmas morning breakfast and for being able to help another family.

My staff and I decided this year to not exchange gifts and to take the money we would have spent on gifts for each other and donate it to help a family who needs the money to supply food and a little something under the tree for their children.

My staff and I are happy that although the economy has taken its’ toll on our annual bottom line, we were still in business and able to work with each other every day. Hey, we have our daily work issues just like any other business and interpersonal dynamics, but we know we are lucky to have our jobs and to be able to celebrate the holiday with our family.

As a company, we purchased coats for kids through Operation Warm www.operationwarm.org, we will also be presenting a few other checks to organizations we feel are helping individuals directly and specifically in our home town of Aston and our second home in Chester.

If you want to help another family but can’t afford to write a check at this time, go through your kitchen cabinets and donate some food. I have seen firsthand that there are families with children who may very well be your neighbors not have food in the cabinet for the holiday season or any other day due to one or more parent losing their job or becoming ill. I believe that their children deserve something, anything under the tree and a warm meal in their bellies. Please take the time to look around your neighborhood and think about whom from your neighborhood may need assistance.

If you want to donate food or other items for those who are in need, which are more needed in this area then in any other time in my memory and in the history of some of the food banks we have in Delaware County, contact the Community Action Agency of Delaware County www.caadc.org. When you visit the CAADC web site, you don’t even have to leave your home to donate or volunteer since the web site takes donations and enlists volunteers on the home page.

So, here is what I know and some of what I learned. I know that my family and I are very fortunate to be in a position to help others and celebrate the holiday together. There are many organizations that need not only donations but volunteers to deliver what has been donated. City Team Ministries had such an overwhelming request for food that families had to choose either Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. I can’t imagine having to choose. If your children are like my children,they want Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.

I learned that the holiday season is when the most donations are made but the need to feed and provide assistance to these families does not end with the holiday season. After the holiday, the cupboards are bare.

If you would like to assist City Team Ministries fill their food cupboard, visit www.cityteam.org. This past year has made me more aware of my blessings than any other year I can remember and there are true angels who walk among us every day who deliver gifts and take their own time to make others more comfortable in their time of need.

Until my next post, Go Native.
Diane Holefelder

1 Comments:

At December 3, 2010 at 2:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great suggestions - if you live in the Springfield, Broomall, Havertown, etc area and have donations for City Team's Food Drive but cannot get to Chester to drop them off, Comfort Keepers located at 920 W. Sproul Rd, Springfield has a bin for City Team food and will take it down for you. Often people have a couple cans and it can take up to half hour or more to get to Chester with traffic at this time of year. CK office is in McKee Plaza right on corner of state and sproul where St. Rep Bill Adolph's office is. Call for directions 610-543=6300

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home